When my sons were diagnosed with allergies and asthma, I had to throw out all my pretty smelling air fresheners. I learned to make my own using allergy-friendly ingredients you can find in moderately-stocked grocery stores or department stores.
Allergy safe, great smelling, and toxin-free, these air fresheners are simple and inexpensive, too!
- 1 ounce, weight Unsweetened, Unflavored Gelatin (equivalent To 4 Envelopes Of Knox Powdered Gelatin)
- 2 cups Cold Water, Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Salt (or A Splash Of Vodka- To Deter Mold Growth)
- 20 drops To 30 Drops Essential Oil
- Food Coloring To Tint The Air Fresheners
- ADDITIONAL MATERIALS:
- Disposable Chopsticks Or Skewers To Stir The Hot Gelatin Mixture In The Jars
- Decorative Heat-proof Jars To Hold The Gelatin Mixture
PreparationBring one cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the boiling water and whisk until smooth and all the gelatin is dissolved. Add the salt and the second cup of cold water and whisk. Set aside.
Add the desired amount of essential oil and food coloring, if using, to the jar(s). Quickly pour the hot liquid gelatin over the essential oil and food coloring. Stir until evenly colored.
Allow to cool, uncovered on a heat-proof surface. When it reaches room temperature, place wherever you want a lovely scent.
Sweet Basil and Lemon Air Freshener
* 20 drops Sweet Basil essential oil
* 8 drops Lemon essential oil
Rosemary Orange Air Freshener
* 25 drops Sweet Orange essential oil
* 5 drops Rosemary essential oil (the rosemary essential oil is mighty strong stuff—keep a light hand with this!)
Fresh Pine Scent Air Freshener
* 25 drops Fir Pine essential oil
* 3 drops Lemon essential oil
* 2 drops Sweet Orange essential oil
* 1 drop Bergamot essential oil
Pure Lavender Air Freshener
* 30 drops of Lavender essential oil
Essence of Provençe Air Freshener
* 20 drops Lavender essential oil
* 5 drops Thyme essential oil
* 2 drops Lemon essential oil