- Weight training increases the strength of your connective tissues (tendons and ligaments), muscles and bones.
- It increases muscle mass, helping your body burn more calories so weight maintenance becomes easier.
- It increases your general strength, making daily tasks easier to perform.
- Your body becomes defined and toned.
- It decreases the risk of bone loss as you age.
When you decide to start your weight training program, consult a trainer or someone at your local gym and have him show you proper form. Lifting weights improperly can cause serious injury.Beginners Weight Training Program:
- Train 2-3 times per week, training your full body in one session
- Be sure to train on non-consecutive days. Example: Monday - Wednesday - Friday
- Be sure to warm up for 5-10 minutes prior to weight training. eg: Treadmill
- Do 1 light warm up set of 15 repetitions prior to the workout set on every exercise
- Rest after every set as long as it takes to recover from the previous set
(it is strongly advised that you use caution and only proceed with the following exercises under the supervision of a qualified personal trainer)
|Shoulders||Machine Shoulder Press||3 sets / 12-14 reps|
|Back||Machine ~ Pull Downs||3 sets / 12-14 reps|
|Biceps||Barbell Curls||2 sets / 12-14 reps|
|Triceps||Machine - Cable Pushdowns||2 sets / 12-14 reps|
|Chest||Pec Dec||3 sets / 12-14 reps|
|Legs||Leg Curl||3 sets / 12-14 reps|
|Calves||Machine - Standing Raises||2 sets / 12-14 reps|
|Abdominals||Crunches||3 sets / 12-14 reps|