Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free
Meet your new favourite summer salad! This delightful combination of strawberries, avocado, basil, and tomatoes is tossed with a touch of extra-virgin olive oil, and drizzled with homemade balsamic reduction for a refreshing, lightly sweet salad that's great on a hot day. This recipe is lightly adapted from the Love and Lemons Cookbook (2016).
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (135 g) hulled and sliced strawberries
- 1 cup (160 g) grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup (8 g) loosely packed basil leaves, chiffonade cut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt or fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toasted sesame seeds or chopped pecans, for serving
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat. Once the vinegar starts to simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 6 to 10 minutes, uncovered, until the vinegar thickens, and reduces in volume by half. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the strawberries, tomatoes, avocado, and basil into a large shallow bowl.
- Drizzle on the oil and gently toss until the veggies are coated. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss again just briefly.
- Scatter on your desired amount of toasted seeds or nuts. Drizzle on all of the balsamic reduction.
- Serve immediately. This salad is definitely best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for a few hours if necessary.
Click Here For More Articles