I made this recipe a few weeks ago for a Friendsgiving I hosted and everyone commented on how much they loved it. The butternut squash is sweet, paired with earthy lentils, creamy tahini dressing, crunchy pecans and zippy arugula.
Basically it’s a salad dream come true.
I hope you get a chance to try this recipe! If you make it, be sure to leave a comment below and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. xo!
Winter Roasted Butternut Squash Black Lentil Salad with Grapes + Arugula
- Serves: 40 mins
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 245.7
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1g
- Sugar: 11.8g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Protein: 7.7g
Recipe type: Salad, Winter, Gluten Free
Winter roasted butternut squash black lentils salad with juicy grapes served over a bed of arugula and drizzled with a creamy tahini dressing! Full of texture, comforting and so delicious!
- For the butternut squash:
- 4-5 cups cubed butternut squash (from about 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash)
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (plus more, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- For the lentils:
- ½ cup dry black lentils
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ½ tablespoons warm water, to thin, plus more if necessary
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- For the salad:
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 1 ½ cups of red or purple grapes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together melted coconut oil, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Place cubed butternut squash on baking sheet and drizzle coconut oil mixture on top. Toss to evenly coat the butternut squash with oil and spices. Spread butternut cubes evenly around pan and roast for 25-35 minutes until squash is fork tender.
- While your butternut squash is roasting, make your black lentils. Bring water and salt to a boil and stir in lentils. Bring lentils to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes until cooked and tender but not falling apart. Drain excess water and rinse cooked lentils with cold water.
- Next, make your dressing. In a small bowl mix together tahini, maple syrup, garlic powder, lemon juice, and water. Mix until it resembles a dressing. Add a little more water to thin out for a drizzle, if necessary.
- Assemble your salad. Place arugula down on a platter, top with black lentils, roasted butternut squash, sliced grapes and pecans. Drizzle lightly with tahini dressing, then top with pecans. No need to toss together, just serve as is and allow everyone to dig in and serve themselves with salad tongs/servers. Enjoy! Salad can be enjoyed warm or cold. Serves 6-8.
If you can't find black lentils, feel free to use brown or green lentils. Cooking times may vary. Cook according to directions on the package.
Don't forget to opt-in to Our Healthy Living Society and get 3 free gifts while receiving the latest information on health, well-being and groundbreaking news about natural nutrition.