The “crust” for this recipe is a wonderful layer of almond butter and cacao powder. I used raw, organic coconut crystals for sweetening as I am really trying to keep my sweeteners as close to the source as possible. Plus they have a wonderful deep flavor. Not unlike molasses or brown sugar.
This is a pretty easy make….have at it and have fun! As with all desserts, these recipes are very calorie dense. I am not the person who is going to tell you that you can eat a raw dessert for breakfast. But as a tasty, sweet treat, raw desserts are full of healthy nutrients that typical desserts just don’t have.
Raw Almond Joy Bars
- 3/4 cup raw almond butter (I make my own from this recipe: Almond Butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup raw coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch Himalayan salt
1. Whisk all ingredients together and pour into oiled, parchment lined 8 x 8-inch glass pan. Set in refrigerator aside making topping. The bottom layer should be set up (but not completely hard) before adding the next layer.
- 2 cups of dried, unsweetened, raw coconut
- 2/3 cup coconut butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons raw agave nectar (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1-2 teaspoons organic almond flavoring (not raw)
1. Place coconut in medium bowl.
2. Whisk coconut butter (not the same as coconut oil), agave and almond flavor. Pour over coconut and mix well.
3. Pat over first layer, top with chopped almonds and ganache.
4. Refrigerate to set.
1/3 cup almonds, coarsely choppedClick Here For More Articles