by Dr. Fahad Basheer.
The kiss is a measure of a person’s feelings, of his or her love or attraction to another. A truly meaningful kiss can also act as a powerful mood booster, instilling a sense of confidence and heightened self-esteem in both parties. The strength of a kiss lies in the power it has to cause the release of serotonin and oxytocin peptides in our bodies.
The following are some of the wonderful and amazing physical benefits of kissing:
1. Relieves Physical PainKissing helps to raise the threshold for activation of pain receptors in the body, and it also causes a release of endorphins (pain relieving hormones) from our brains, inhibiting the pain pathway and thus providing pain relief. Kissing is also beneficial for people who suffer from chronic pain due to autoimmune disorders (Rheumatoid arthritis, etc.) and malignant cancers.
2. Lowers Blood PressureKissing lowers blood pressure by dilating blood vessels in the body. Thus, kissing can cause a decrease in blood pressure, even in people with hypertension, by providing them with physical relief and lowering their levels of stress.
3. Improves The Health Of Our HeartKissing can cause a decrease in the sympathetic tone of our heart. By doing so, it reduces the physical stress which the heart undergoes in daily life as a result of the psychological stress we experience. Studies reveal that men who make love regularly are 45% less likely to develop heart disease than those who make love once in a month. Regular kissing can help you to avoid taking cardiac drugs and loading doses of Aspirin and clopidogrel!
4. Boost Immunity & Help With AllergiesKissing can boost the activity of the immune cells in our body to fight outside germs by producing IgA antibodies against them. Kissing can decrease IgE antibodies, lowering the release of histamine from mast cells (which is what causes allergic reactions). Regular kissing can help you avoid antibiotics and antihistamines!
5. Improves Oral HygieneKissing increases salivation, resulting in the release of enzymes which clean up tooth plaque, which causes tooth decay and cavities.
6. Improves Mood & Decreases StressKissing results in the release of mood elevating hormones like dopamine and serotonin into your brain. Kissing can also release oxytocin from the brain, which heightens the romantic bond between partners, and endorphins, which calm the mind and the body. Kissing can reduce the production of the stress hormone adrenaline by decreasing sympathetic stimulation to the adrenal gland. In one study it was found that men who received a passionate kiss before they left for work earned more money. Thus, a passionate kiss can boost our self esteem, make us happier, and improve our performance at work.
7. Relieves Menstrual CrampsKissing releases endorphins (which inhibit pain) and causes our blood vessels to dilate, which means menstrual cramps are felt less strongly.
8. Relieves Headache & MigraineAs mentioned above, kissing results in dilated blood vessels and the release of dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins, all of which help ease tension headaches and migraine. This can help you to stay away from analgesics and sumatriptans!
9. Improves The Tone Of Facial MusclesKissing involves the harmonious group work of 34 facial muscles and 112 postural muscles. Regular kissing increases the tone of facial muscles, which helps us convey the right facial expressions to people around us, allowing for more effective communication. It also helps in relieving facial palsy and muscular dystonia. Working out these muscles by kissing can also help you to tone your neck.
10. Burns CaloriesA study by Dr. Alexander DeWees showed that a passionate kiss lasting for 20 seconds could burn up to 2-3 calories per minute.
(1) The Science of Emotions: Dr.Fahad Basheer (Buy on Amazon)
Click Here For More Articles