Step 1: Date Caramel
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup pitted datesboiling water
- boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon raw coconut oil
- 1 cup date soaking water
What to Do:
- Place dates in a small, heat-proof bowl and pour boiling water on top, just enough to cover. Let dates soak for 10 minutes.
- Strain dates, reserving the soaking water, and place dates in a
food processor or high-speed blender. Add the rest of the ingredients
and blend until a smooth, caramel texture has been achieved. You may
need to stop and scrape down the sides from time
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds on a baking sheet and place in oven to toast for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden and fragrant. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Chop
Set up a double boiler with a small, heatproof bowl on top of a pot of simmering water. Be sure
that the bottom of the bowl does not make contact with the water. Place 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil in the bowl and gently mix until 90% melted. Remove from hea tand continue to stir until fully melted.
Step 3: Candy Apple Donuts
Makes 8 donuts
- 2 large green apples, organic is best
- 1 cup date caramel
- 1 1/2 cups melted chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
What to Do:
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice apples crosswise into 1/2 inch rounds. 1
apple will yield approximately 8 large slices.
- Using a small, round cookie cutter, about 1” in diameter, cut a hole in the center of each apple slice. Group slices into pairs.
- Spread a layer of caramel on top of 8 apple rings and top each caramel apple ring with second
apple ring to make a sandwich.
- Dip each apple caramel sandwich into melted chocolate until
covered in a nice, even layer. Gently tap off excess chocolate and place
chocolate covered apple sandwich on the baking
- Sprinkle generously with chopped, toasted almonds. Repeat until you’ve completed all
- Place baking sheet with apple sandwiches in the fridge to set overnight, or in the freezer to set
for 20-30 minutes. Once chocolate is solid and set, transfer candy apple donuts to an airtight
container and store in the fridge. Will keep for 2-3 days.
Click Here For More Articles