Check out twenty medical uses and benefits of the latest food trend, Moringa as the health benefits are tantalizing and every part of the Moringa tree can be used in medical science.
Moringa oleifera has an impressive range of medicinal uses with high nutritional value and medicinal benefits as different parts of Moringa contain a profile of important minerals and are a good source of protein, vitamins, beta-carotene, amino acids and various phenolics.
Moringa provides a rich and rare combination of zeatin, quercetin, beta-sitosterol, caffeoylquinic acid and kaempferol.
It may act as cardiac and circulatory stimulants, possess antitumor, antipyretic, antiepileptic, antiinflammatory, antiulcer, antispasmodic, diuretic, antihypertensive, cholesterol lowering, antioxidant, antidiabetic, hepatoprotective, antibacterial and antifungal activities, and are being employed for the treatment of different ailments in the indigenous system of medicine.
Traditional cultures in various parts of the world have long used Moringa in their herbal medicine repertoire for ailments ranging from gout to various inflammations and fevers.
Here are some of the traditional, medical uses of moringa:
- Normalizes blood sugar.
- Appetite supplement.
- Heal wounds and injuries- There is an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effect when applied to wounds, thereby aiding the fast healing of wounds.
- Eliminate constipation.
- Reduce risk of ulcer- Moringa tea treats gastric ulcers and prevents.
- Improves digestion.
- Serves as nutrition for infants- six months and older, pregnant and nursing mothers, flower juice improves the quality and flow of mothers’ milk when breast feeding.
- Increases mental clarity.
- Stimulates hair growth.
- Enhances skin health.
- Reduces wrinkles and age lines.
- Prevents tumor.
- Increases energy and endurance.
- Improves eyesight.
- Normalizes blood pressure.
- Acts as anti- depressant.
- Strengthens immune system- In Haiti, villagers boil Moringa flowers in water and drink the tea as a powerful cold remedy.
- Can be used as an aphrodisiac and promoter of libido- The drumstick seeds are used as a sexual virility drug for treating erectile dysfunction in men and also in women for prolonging sexual activity.
- Prevents fungal diseases.
- Moringa leaves treat fevers, bronchitis, eye and ear infections, inflammation of the mucus membrane
- The powder ground from the seeds is also used in the treatment of scurvy skin diseases (common bacterial infections of the skin).
Every single part of the Moringa Tree is useful, this is why it is considered one of the most valuable and useful plants.