You know the saying “The grass is always greener on the other side”? It’s about being happy with what you’ve got. So often do we compare ourselves to others that we forget how good we have it — how happy we really are without even knowing it.
Life isn’t meant to be perfect, and things won’t always go your way, but that’s not always a bad thing. A challenge, a breakdown, and other seemingly severe events can feel like the end of the world, but if we only saw these situations as blessings in disguise, we might be able to find clarity, growth, and then… opportunity.
Of course our challenges are all based on our perception and it’s important not to downplay it, but feeling genuine gratitude for what is going on in your life and recognizing it can really shift your perception towards what is happening in your life.
Simply, to change your perception of life, you have to see the good. You have to know that you’re perfectly imperfect just the way you are. Not sure where to start? Here are 10 signs that you’re doing it all right, even if it doesn’t always feel that way:
1) You’re here on Earth.Being alive is enough to celebrate, am I right? Despite all the trials and tribulations you’ve faced, you’re still here. In the words of Osho, “Being alive is such a gift, but nobody ever told you to be thankful for existence.” We are conditioned to want more for the fear of settling, but when we shed the layers of need, we realize we are enough.
2) You have a home to call your own.Whenever you’re having trouble being grateful, just think about how lucky you are to have a roof over your head. Remember this:
On a single night in January 2013, there were 610,042 people experiencing homelessness in the United States, including 394,698 people who were homeless in sheltered locations and 215,344 people who were living in unsheltered locations.
– The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
3) You’re trying to improve yourself.Being conscious is enough. While you may not always make actions, it counts for something to want to break through barriers, to grow, to see the world, to have dreams and aspirations, to know you are capable of more. It means something to know that you are better than some of the current happenings in your life.
4) Your dreams are big.Some of the greatest ideas in the world came about because of dreaming. If you find yourself dreaming outside of what seems realistic, be proud. Your are not limited by what people say you can and cannot be. In the words of Albert Einstein, “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.”
5) You let go of anger.“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned,” Buddha once said. If you are forgiving, see it as a positive attribute, because it is this type of quality that gives you lightness in your life.
6) You have love in your life.Loving and being loved is one of the greatest joys in life. From your family to your friends and significant other, love is all around you. You give it, and you receive it. Be thankful for having people in your life to share this wonderful feeling with.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.”
— Victor Hugo
7) You are clothed.Along with shelter, this is another basic, yet often overlooked part of life. While sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the fact that you don’t like your wardrobe, or don’t have a very big one at that, remember how nice it is to have clothes to wear; clothes that shelter you, that warm you, that allow you to express yourself.
8) You have access to clean water.While your biggest concern over water these days may be if it’s alkalized or not, or if you’ve consumed the recommended eight glasses a day, you’re among the lucky ones. There are 783 million people in the world without access to clean water, according to a report released by the UN. And almost 2.5 billion people don’t have access to adequate sanitation.
9) You’re authentic.“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You,” Dr. Seuss once said.
What is better than being you? In a day and age where we are surrounded by the idea that perfection means conforming, it is a miracle that any of us have a sense of individuality anymore, yet we do. Be thankful for the simple fact that you are “Youer than You.”
10) You have traveled to various parts of the world.Perhaps you’ve only traveled to one other country, but that is exposing yourself to one more culture than your one.
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Unknown