I have a fairly simple equation to my salad making that I follow most of the time. It is typically along the lines of greens + vegetable + legumes+ nuts/seeds. That’s it, that forms the base for salads. From there I’ll switch flavors, dressings, and add cheese. This particular tomato salad is no different. I like kale salads during the summer because the heat makes most other greens bitter. Roasted tomatoes are eaten every day, the za’atar is technically the seed portion, and black lentils are one of my favorite salad add-ins. The black lentils hold up well when cooked and also add a beautiful color to the overall dish.
This is the second recipe in my series with nuts.com about a hard to find ingredient: black lentils. As I mentioned in my last recipe, black lentils are a bit hit and miss at stores but a necessity for me to have on hand for salads, tacos, and stews. Luckily, they sourced the perfect ingredient so that it’s easy to find and order!
Za’atar Roasted Tomato Salad with Black Lentils
This summer salad uses hardy kale tossed with easy burst tomatoes, za'atar, and black lentils for a nutritious addition.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon za’atar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked black lentils
- Salt, to taste
- 1 bunch, 8 oz, kale
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ounce crumbled feta
- 1 recipe for Lemon Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Halve the cherry tomatoes and toss with olive oil. Roast until the tomatoes are starting to wilt and lightly brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the oven, stir in the za’atar, and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Heat a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add the 2 teaspoons olive oil then the shallot. Cook until the shallot is tender, 4 to 5 minutes Stir in the lentils and cover with 1 ¼ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender and the water is mostly absorbed 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in a pinch of salt, leave covered, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- While the tomatoes and lentils cook, remove the stems from the kale. Roughly chop the kale and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and massage the salt into the kale. Let the kale sit until ready to assemble the salad.
- Assemble the salad with the massaged kale, roasted tomatoes, lentils, and feta. Drizzle with a bit lemon vinaigrette and toss until combined and salad is coated, adding a bit more dressing as needed. Serve with an extra sprinkle of za’atar if desired.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks: This salad can be made in advance. Roast the tomatoes and make the lentils up to 24 hours before assembling the salad.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: tomatoes, black lentils, kale
Nutrition: see the information.
VEGAN: Ditch the cheese or you can make a tofu ‘feta’.
Leave your comment below.
Click Here For More Articles
Don't forget to optin to Our Healthy Living Society, for the latest information on health, wellbeing and groundbreaking news about natural nutrition.
Post a Comment