To make Jamaican Sweet Potato pudding, you will need a special variety of sweet potato that has a white flesh with red skin. It is mainly sold in West Indian, Asian and African grocery stores. But fortunately it’s getting more popular here in the USA and it can even be found in Walmart. Sometimes it is also sold as ‘batata’.
Here are some of the differences between Jamaican white-flesh sweet potato and American orange-flesh sweet potato:
- The Jamaican white flesh sweet potato is white flesh with red skin and the American sweet potato is orange flesh with brown skin.
- The Jamaican sweet potato is sturdier when cooked, the American sweet potato is softer.
- Jamaican sweet potato is starchier in texture than American sweet potato
- Although they are both sweet, there is a distinct difference in their sweetness.
FOR: 12 SERVINGS
- 2 pounds sweet potato, (aka. Batata)
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Gluten-Free all purpose flour, or brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Topping Optional
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round baking pan. Set aside.
- Peel sweet potatoes and roughly chop. Grate using the grater or a food processor in batches. (If using a food processor or blender, add some coconut milk to help process)
- Transfer grated sweet potatoes to a large bowl, add coconut milk, coconut palm sugar, spices and salt.
- Stir in flour to form a mostly smooth batter.
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl and pour evenly on the top of the pudding.
- Return pudding to oven and bake for another 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Delicious served alone or with coconut whipped cream.
- I have used a combination of sweet potato and other Caribbean/African root vegetables, such as yellow yam, white African yam, taro, eddoes etc. with great success.
- You can omit the spices and just use vanilla or a combination of ground coriander and cardamon. Basically, you can tweak the flavors to suit your taste buds. Cinnamon and nutmeg can be irritating to the lining of the stomach in the long run.
- Make sure you add extra coconut milk or water if you are using a high-speed blender. Chop the sweet potato into smaller pieces, pause and periodically scrape down the sides of the blender.
- Sweet potato pudding gets firmer as it cools. My husband prefers it when it is softer so I sometimes add extra liquid. I don’t care whether it’s soft or firm. So you might want to adjust liquid depending on your preferences.
- If you decide to grate sweet potatoes by hand, make sure you use the smallest hole on the grater to ensure pudding is smooth when baked.
Click Here For More Articles
Don't forget to opt-in to Our Healthy Living Society and get 3 free gifts while receiving the latest information on health, well-being and groundbreaking news about natural nutrition.
Good Day everyone, just want to share my experience here so you all should be more careful when contacting any herbalist for solution cos majority of the testimonies are fake and were the ones that fooled me.they all uses the same local code number (+234) cos i have been screwed by some of them.My Husband was suffering from Hsv for years and i went everywhere to get useful information that will help cure or suppress the disease.then i came across testimonies of those that took my hard earn money without any useful information or cure but they keep telling stories.about two months ago, a new staff was employed in my place of work and when He heard about my Husband Disease He was so remorseful and told me about Dr Emmanuel.but i felt it was still one of those Internet guys so i didn't call or text Dr Emmanuel. later that week, He asked me if i`ve heard from Dr Emmanuel and he gave me proof and reasons to try.well, lots of thanks to Dr Emmanuel cos as im writing this message, my Husband is CURED through the herbs that Dr Emmanuel sent to us.so after my experience, i decided to save some people from falling to the hands of SCAMS.thx for your time and if you require the service of Dr Emmanuel, you have to reach him via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp/Call +2348140073965ReplyDelete
you can also reach me on +1(862) 260-4433
he have cure to all kinds of virus and disease,thank you Herpes,Hpv,Wart,Cancer,Hepatitis B,COPD,Brain Tumor Etc