I don’t know about you, but ever since spring bloomed in force my body switched naturally on detox mode and salads are the mains on my table. When seasons change, our body cells vibrate on the same frequency and all the pulsing energy from outside is translated with this need to restore and revive. Nature has all the means to help us doing this, and it’s not a surprise that fresh greens are plentiful at the farmers’ market stalls. We have to take advantage of everything fresh and load our cells with energy and nutrients to sustain the natural detox function of our bodies.
To make this salad I used two of the most popular cruciferous relatives broccoli and cabbage. I always recommend eating these raw or lightly cooked (steaming is the best cooking method to preserve most of their fantastic nutrients), so having them together in a salad sounds like the best treat for my body.
Broccoli has some very interesting effects on our health, and the most special one is the fact that it contains the perfect proportion between vitamin K and vitamin A, necessary to keep the necessary of vitamin D in balance. After a long winter, when we were deprived of the sunlight we need for metabolizing the vitamin D, I can’t think of something more miraculous than this special property of broccoli. It is also loaded with some phytonutrients called glucosinolates, which support all the steps of our body natural detox.
Red cabbage contain a high concentration of antioxidants, with protective and therapeutic effects on our body health.
My salad contains both of these amazing cruciferous relatives, and also avocado, which adds a creamy texture along with minerals and healthy fats, necessary for a better absorption of the nutrients.
DETOX RAINBOW SALAD
- 1 small broccoli head, cut in small florets
- ¼ small red cabbage head, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut in cubes
- To garnish: toasted almonds and chia seeds
- For the sauce
- 2 tbsp low fat yogurt
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juice only
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Place the sauce ingredients in a blender and pulse to obtain a smooth liquid.
- Pour the sauce over the salad and mix to combine.
- Distribute evenly onto serving plates, top with toasted almonds and chia seeds and serve.
Post a Comment