I am coming to you today with the beverage that will keep you cool and hydrated and energized throughout the summer.
It is a sparkling honey ginger lemonade that I make with fresh ginger — infused in hot water for a few minutes — and fresh lemon juice sweetened lightly with artisanal honey, and top up with sparkling water.
It is immensely refreshing on sweltering days, such as we’ve had in Paris lately. It is also a healthy summer drink, bringing you the immunity-boosting benefits of ginger, lemon juice, and honey to ward off those weird summer colds one catches sometimes.
This honey ginger lemonade is, naturally, very easy to prepare — if making lemonade becomes a project, you’re doing it wrong. I am only offering a recipe because I fiddled with the details of the preparation before I landed on the just-right ratio of ingredients, and how long to infuse the ginger for, so I’m saving you a little bit of experimentation. That said, you may prefer your lemonade a little sweeter — I like it pretty tart — so feel free to adjust accordingly.
If you like sparkling water as much as I do, but don’t like to lug home and then have to recycle all those plastic bottles, consider getting a SodaStream machine, which carbonates regular water with the push of a button. We’ve had ours for years now — a fabulous gift from my sister and brother-in-law — and it still brings me the same joy and delight every time I use it. (Actually, I don’t get to use it much these days as my sons fight over the privilege.)
And if you or one of your friends don’t drink alcohol, this is a wonderful cocktail hour option, too.
Sparkling Honey Ginger Lemonade Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 1 liter (4 cups).
- One 5-cm (2-inch) piece organic ginger, about 40 grams (1 1/2 ounces), sliced thinly (no need to peel)
- 3 tablespoons artisanal honey (vegans can use another liquid sweetener)
- 3 organic lemons
- 600 ml (2 1/2 cups) sparkling water, refrigerated
- Ice cubes, for serving (optional)
- Put the sliced ginger in a heatproof bowl and add 240 ml (1 cup) boiling water. Steep for 15 minutes.
- Fish out the slices of ginger and stir in the honey to dissolve.
- Juice 2 of the lemons, and add their juice to the bowl. You should have about 360 ml (1 1/2 cups) liquids. Cover and keep in the fridge at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve. You can prepare this mix a few hours in advance.
- When ready to serve, slice the remaining lemon thinly. Fill a fourth of the glasses with the lemon-ginger mix, add a slice of lemon, ice cubes if desired, and top up with sparkling water.
Leave your comments below.
Click Here For More Articles
Don't forget to opt-in to Our Healthy Living Society, for the latest information on health, well-being and groundbreaking news about natural nutrition.