Best of all? It’s SO easy.
No baking required.
Just scoop the ice cream.
Crush the cookies.
Puree the dates, mix with coconut and slap it all on top. Add a healthy drizzle of chocolate and you got yourself a show stopping cake.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Samoa Ice Cream Cake (aka Caramel deLites)
Author: Laura @ Petite Allergy Treats
- 3 pints dairy free chocolate ice cream (I used So Delicious)
- 1 box allergy friendly sugar cookies (I used Enjoy Life)**
- 3Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup hot water
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 cups shredded toasted unsweetened coconut**
- 1 cup allergy friendly chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsps coconut oil
- Thaw ice cream in the microwave until easily scoop-able (do not over melt to liquid state). Scoop into a 9 x 5 inch bread pan. Push down to avoid large air bubbles and create an even top layer. Place in freezer for 3 hours or until center is firm.
- Break cookies and place in a food processor. Coarsely chop to break up big chunks. Add melted coconut oil and processor until crumbs form. Pour crumbs over top of ice cream and gently press to form an even layer. Place back in the freezer for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- While cookie layer freezers, simply rinse out the food processor to remove large crumbs. Add dates and coarsely chop until small chunks form.
- Add hot water and allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes to rehydrate dates. Puree for 5 minutes or until smooth, scraping down the sides. Add coconut oil (no need to melt, the warmth from the dates should do it). Puree another 2 minutes until smooth scraping down the sides.
- In a small bowl fold in the shredded coconut and caramel. Set aside.
- Run the ice cream pan under warm water to loosen and flip ice cream cake (cookie crumbs side down).
- Quickly and evenly as possible, spread the coconut caramel over the entire ice cream portion of the cake. There will be a little left over coconut. Place back in freezer until ready to serve.
- Prepare the chocolate right before** serving. Melt the chocolate in small bowl or glass jar the microwave with coconut oil. Mix well and drizzle over the top of cake.
- Cut cake with a large sharp knife. Freeze any leftovers.
**Feel free to use any allergy friendly cookies or even graham crackers that suit your needs. Some stores carry coconut already toasted. If you cannot find toasted coconut (or unsweetened coconut) you can easily toast your own. Spread coconut on a baking sheet and broil on high for about 3-5 minutes and allow to cool before using. You can make the chocolate drizzle ahead of time and simply reheat in the microwave on low until melted. See my allergy friendly magic shell.
Click Here For More Articles
Post a Comment